Yoga for Men - 3 Key Benefits
by Vicky Wilcox on Dec 01, 2022
Yoga for Men: 3 Key Benefits
Get ready to practice with a difference
Who knew? Well, David Beckham, the England Football team (so I. have heard), Robert Downey Jr, Adam Levine (to name but a few), that who.
From my very first yoga teaching training day, with the only other student Rick, and my teacher Robin, I was from day 1 in a world of yoga that was inclusive and included men. And I was pleasantly surprised!
So, I knew my teacher was a male, and that didn’t even phase me when I signed up to the course, but to have the only other student a man as well really opened my eyes to how much men like, need and want to do yoga, as much as us ladies, if not more!
One of my regular clients (also male), is really dedicated to the practice. He can see (and I hope feel) the benefits. And what are those benefits I hear you ask….. well, other than the usual wonderful things I can wax lyrical about, here are some of my top reasons for all you guys out there thinking of hitting the mat that you can enjoy:
1. Be at the top of your game:
- That’s right. If the footy clues weren’t enough, then let me spell it out for you. YOGA CAN HELP YOUR PERFORMANCE AS A SPORTSMAN. Clear? Ok, so I will get off my soap box for a moment, but seriously. Yoga can help with recovery, increase your flexibility (elongating muscles, posture, alignment) to help you go further, as well as mentally helping you remain calm under pressure).
- A good old stretch after a workout works wonders, helping the muscles recover and the body cool down and relax. Alongside this, it can help you build muscle and core strength just as much! Plank is a core strength builder as is bow pose, chaturanga helps build arm strength, cobra for lower back muscles, and the list goes on.
- We all know sports is just as much about the physical as well as the mental side of things, so for those wanting to improve their performance, try a bit of yoga for peace of mind J
- (Of course yoga to aid sports performance isn’t exclusive to men, it’s for all you powerhouse ladies out there too smashing the world of sports).
2. Sleep Tight:
- Yoga can help with sleep. The end. (Ok there is more).
- There are so many styles of yoga that can aid sleep, and general practices such as breathing techniques or restorative yoga that can relax you, slow the pace of life down, clear your mind and declutter everything out of your head before bed. Some breathing focuses on slowing down as you focus on deep inhalations and deep exhalations, all that can lead to a better night’s sleep.
- That’s right – stress. A big topic for men that often isn’t talked about (let’s get it on the agenda guys). Whilst stress affects everyone, men and women alike, it’s important not to ignore stress and mental health issues that men can suffer from. Stress can manifest itself physically with people suffering from headaches, back ache and tightness as a result.
- Whilst yoga won’t be an out and out cure for stress, I think it’s worth giving it a go and seeing if it can help. You can find a ton of classes online if you can’t go to a yoga practitioner (although I could recommend it if you are feeling stressed to get tailored classes to help your symptoms)
- Yoga won’t necessarily be the answer, but it might be able to help any of the above symptoms. Nothing to lose right?
If you are looking for more in-depth guidance on how to start, get my free yoga e-books where I have pulled together my top tips and poses for anyone who is a beginner and wants more support.
Yoga Wear for Men
If you’re looking for something cool, comfortable and casual to wear for your yoga practice, try these Tansozer Gym Shorts, available on Amazon. I have recommended these to so many people, so I hope these make your yoga practice comfortable and enjoyable!