Happy International Yoga Day to one and all!
by Vicky Wilcox on Jul 06, 2023
One Earth, One Family, One Future
This year sees the 9th year of International Yoga Day, with the theme this year centered around health and fitness, bringing together a sense of unity and harmony with those around you.
What is International Yoga Day? Tell me more…
International Yoga Day is a day celebrated globally by millions of people since its inception in 2015. It is a day when people practice yoga freely and enjoy the benefits of yoga in their lives.
The International Day of Yoga was first declared by the United Nations General Assembly on 11th December 2014 to be performed on 21st June of each year, with the purpose of building peace, harmony, and compassion in the world through yoga.
The declaration was proposed by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his speech at the UN General Assembly on 27 September 2014. He proposed that this day should be dedicated to yoga and that its benefits should be made available to all people across the world by organizing events at multiple locations across the globe.
“Yoga embodies unity of mind and body; thought and action; restraint and fulfilment; harmony between man and nature; a holistic approach to health and well-being.”
International Yoga Day aims at creating awareness about the importance of integrating yoga into daily lives for overall health and well-being. It also aims to demonstrate how the practice of yoga can help individuals deal with stress, anxiety, depression, substance abuse issues as well as other physical ailments such as diabetes, hypertension etc.
The Benefits of Yoga
Regular yoga practice has so many benefits the list is (literally) endless – but key features include the ability to reduce stress, aid to a healthy heart, improve sleep, increase flexibility, help to tone up and burn fat, improve strength and overall health and mental wellbeing. What more could you ask for!
It’s great to see people all over the world celebrating the benefits of yoga and the positive impact it can have on our physical and mental health. Let me know if practice yoga yourself, and if you have some favourite poses or practices that you would like to share!
Yoga is something that we all can do. It has the power to make us feel good and to help us achieve our goals. Yoga is a wonderful way of celebrating International Yoga Day. The practice helps to improve your physical and mental health and teaches you how to manage stress and anxiety.
Here are some top tips on ways you can celebrate no matter where you are or what you are doing!
Celebrate Your Way:
- Sign up to a class. Whether that is in person or online, there are so many options out there, so even if you can’t make it today, take the next step to get on the mat.
- Set an intention. This is a great way to bring focus and calm to the mind (and body) – whether it’s a feeling or emotion you want to convey or a kind thought for someone, set that intention and pass on good vibes!
- Take a nice relaxing bath. With the theme this year being ‘Earth is my home’ take some time out to ground yourself and bring yourself back to your home and your safe space.
- Write a list of gratitude! Or maybe you want to journal some mantras or manifestations. Whatever it is, writing it down can be really cathartic, and give you something to reflect back on at a later date.
- Read a Sutra – the oldest of the yoga texts! Full of insights and inspiration, take a look here and a source of reference.
- Plan some time in your day to meditate. I honestly can’t recommend this enough! Even if you can spare just 5 minutes of your day for some relaxing breathing or simply taking some time out maybe going for a walk or listening to some music. Give it a try!
Take a look at The Yoga Closet and grab yourself (or a yoga lover) some goodies to help you celebrate. My favourites include:
- Floor Cushions – taking your first step on the mat can be daunting, so have some lovely cushions ready to make your practice as comfortable as possible.
- Relaxing Candles – try one of these gorgeous aromatherapy candles to have around the tub or to light up any room. The scent will help you feel relaxed, calm, and ready to take on the world.
- Your Journals – if you’re like me and love to make notes to help clear your head, grab one of these notepads to keep your manifestations, musing, and thoughts all in one safe place.
Drop me a line and tell me how you celebrated the day! Happy IYD 2023!