Yoga Poses for Weight Loss – 20 Minute Poses
by Vicky Wilcox on Nov 06, 2023
A 20-minute yoga workout can be an effective and time-efficient way to support weight loss.
And let’s face it, going to the gym, a run or having a long cardio workout isn’t what everyone wants to do! Yoga can be a fun, effective and enjoyable way to burn fat, lose pounds and feel fitter, healthier, and happier! Yoga can not only support with weight loss, but regular practice can also support increased flexibility, energy levels, improve sleep and even alleviate symptoms like anxiety and stress.
Who is this yoga session for:
- Those looking to lose weight.
- Those who want to increase flexibility.
Here's a short yoga sequence that combines poses to improve flexibility, build strength, and elevate your heart rate for calorie burning. Perform each pose for about 1-2 minutes, and transition smoothly between poses. Remember to focus on your breath and maintain proper alignment.
- Sun Salutations (Surya Namaskar): Begin with a few rounds of Sun Salutations to warm up your body and elevate your heart rate. This sequence involves multiple poses and transitions that engage the entire body.
- Chair Pose (Utkatasana): From a standing position, bend your knees and lower your hips as if sitting in a chair. Raise your arms overhead. Engage your core and hold this pose.
- Warrior II (Virabhadrasana II): Step one foot back, rotate your hips to the side, and bend your front knee. Extend your arms parallel to the ground. Hold the pose while maintaining a strong core.
- Plank Pose: Transition to a plank position with your body in a straight line, wrists under your shoulders. Engage your core to stay stable.
- Downward-Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana): From the plank, push your hips up and back, forming an inverted "V" shape with your body. Keep your feet hip-width apart.
- Upward-Facing Dog (Urdhva Mukha Svanasana): Shift forward into a low plank position, and then arch your back, extending your chest upward while keeping your hands and the tops of your feet on the ground.
- Bridge Pose (Setu Bandha Sarvangasana): Lie on your back, bend your knees, and lift your hips off the ground. Support your lower back with your hands or interlace your fingers under your hips.
- Boat Pose (Navasana): Sit on the ground with your knees bent and feet off the ground. Lean back slightly and lift your feet, creating a "V" shape with your body.
- Child's Pose (Balasana): Sit back on your heels, lower your torso to the ground, and stretch your arms forward. Relax and breathe deeply.
- Seated Forward Bend (Paschimottanasana): Sit with your legs extended in front of you. Hinge at your hips and reach for your toes while keeping your back straight.
- Twisting Low Lunge (Parivrtta Anjaneyasana): From a low lunge, place your hands in a prayer position, twist your torso towards the bent knee, and hold the twist for a minute. Then switch to the other side.
- End with Savasana: Lie flat on your back, close your eyes, and take a few moments to relax and breathe deeply. This final relaxation is essential for reducing stress and integrating the benefits of your practice.
This 20-minute yoga workout combines strength, flexibility, and cardio elements to support your weight loss goals. Remember to perform each pose with mindfulness and intention and modify as needed based on your fitness level and comfort.
In this workout, try and hold each pose for about 20-30 seconds, and try the poses on each side for a completely balanced yoga practice to work all sides of the body.
If you want more information on how yoga can help you make the changes you want, check out the Yoga Guide for Weight Loss! It can be a great starting place if you are looking to lose weight and not sure where to begin.